Sunday, September 20, 2009



Despite worries of ring rust from his 21-month lay-off from boxing, Floyd Mayweather proved he hasn't lost a step in a decision over Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night (September 19) in Las Vegas.

From the beginning, it was an exciting fight that almost became a short fight when "Money" Mayweather dropped Marquez in the second round with a short left hook. Despite going down quickly, it was Mayweather's speed that Marquez had trouble with more than power.
It still went the 12 rounds though with Mayweather winning a unanimous decision with scores of 118-109, 120-107, 119-108.

"He's a great little man. He was really hard to fight and he kept taking some unbelievable shots," Mayweather said. "When I dropped him with that shot, which I don' t think he saw, he got back up and kept on fighting."

In the later rounds, Marquez was reduced to taking potshots from Mayweather over and over again.
"I've been off for two years, so I felt like it took me a couple rounds to really know I was back in the ring again. I know I'll get better," Mayweather said. "Marquez is as tough as nails."
Marquez is tough as nails and has been regarded as one of the two best pound-for-pound fighters coming into the bout. However, he was significantly undersized.

He's been a featherweight for most of his 16-year career, never fighting above 135 pounds. Saturday's bout was supposed to take place at 144 pounds, but instead the weight limit was changed before Friday's weigh-in because Mayweather was over. He paid a $600,000 penalty, or $300,000 per pound, to the Nevada Boxing Commission.

The bout was Mayweather's first since his December 2007 knockout win of then-undefeated Ricky Hatton. He easily defeated Hatton, and called it a day, leaving the sport until his comeback this week.
He improved to 40-0-0 and still remains undefeated.

Marquez's last fight was against Juan Diaz, who he knocked out seven months again in the lightweight divison. He falls to 50-5-1.

"It was a very hard fight. He surprised me with the first knockdown. He hurt me in that round, but not any other time," Marquez said. "I don't want to make any excuses, but the weight was the problem.
"He's too fast. When I hit him he would laugh but I knew he felt my punches. I tried to work the speed, but the difference was the weight. If I had three or four fights at this weight I would've done better," he continued.

Watch the Fight:
 

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online